House to let or rent, a 2-bedroom Victorian cottage in London
please wait while you get redirected
Houses on this street were built after the huge church St Paul's (1906) was finished, around 1908. This particular house was owned by a company and was let to a man named Jack who also owned and rented out several other properties nearby. Jack worked at the quality butchers Richardsons on Northfields Avenue his entire life, until his wife became so ill that he had to look after her. He either left or died in 1990. He lived into his nineties.
The company that owned it decided to sell it. A lady bought it. She quit her job as a secretary to become a gourmet chef. She and her boyfriend spent five years renovating the house, adding the Victorian panelling on the downstair walls which became a characteristic feature of this house. After adding a bathroom upstairs, the relationship between her and her boyfriend deteriorated --- possibly from spending too much time changing the house.
The next owners were a newly married English-Italian couple. They fitted a new kitchen, renovated the garden, and laid the antique mahogany parquet floor. After their daughter was born, they decided to move to Milan.
In May 1998, the next and current owner, having just returned from Rome, visited this property for the first time. It was the 12th and last property she was seeing in the fifth month of her search to fit her grand piano. She made an offer which was accepted by the couple. At the end of July, she moved in --- with her grand piano.